If you are interested in studying agriculture or the human sciences at the University of Kentucky but are unsure of your specific major, you may enter the College as an exploratory major. The curriculum for exploratory students consists primarily of UK core and College of Agriculture or School of Human Environmental Science requirements. You may take some upper division courses to explore the various academic subject areas.

As an exploratory student you should take a wide range of University Studies and college courses in an effort to narrow your major and career choices. You should declare your major within the College of Agriculture no later than the end of your sophomore year.

The College provides academic advisors for all students. Undeclared students are advised either by a faculty member or a professional staff member of The Advising Resource Center. Advisors help undeclared students decide on a major which best meets their personal and professional goals. Undeclared students in the College of Agriculture are welcome to participate in student organizations as well as apply for part-time jobs and academic scholarships

Choosing a Major

There are several resources available in determining which major is right for you.

  • Academic Advisor: Talk to your academic advisor. They will be able to assist you in choosing classes that will allow you to explore majors in which you may be interested.
  • James W. Stuckert Career Center: UK's Career Center has several resources available to assist you with selecting a major. Visit their website for more information or call 859-257-2746 to schedule a career & major exploration appointment with a Career Counselor.
  • UK Counseling Center: UK's Counseling Center offers Career Decision-Making Workshops and individualized face-to-face feedback to assist students with the major/career decision making process. Visit their website or call 859-257-8701 for more information.